16 foods that fight fat
This is a bit long but worth reading for those who want to cut down those flabbies..
BREAKFAST
1. Cottage cheese
“I used to be addicted to toast with tonnes of butter and vegemite. But ever since I started using cottage cheese on my toast instead of butter, I find I no longer crave sugary foods mid-morning.” Alina, 23
Why it works: Cottage cheese contains whey protein, which releases hormones that tell your brain when you’ve had enough to eat. Look for low-fat versions which have 80 calories and 1 gram of fat per ½ cup.
2. Rolled oats
According to obesity expert Dr Robert Lustig, from the University of California, low glycemic cereals such as rolled oats produce less insulin, which blocks vital hormones that tell your brain when to stop eating.
Why we love them: Oats are high in soluble fibre, which plays a large part in slowing the digestive process and helps stabilise blood sugar levels. Starting the day with a bowl of porridge is almost guaranteed to stave off those mid-morning vending machine raids.
3. Eggs
“I used to skip breakfast totally, or just have white toast. Now I’ve added poached eggs and swapped to soy and linseed bread it gets me through a busy morning without hunger pangs." Catherine, 24
Why it works: Eggs contain quality protein which has the ability to keep you full for longer. It also balances out carbohydrates by preventing insulin spikes that cause energy loss and sugar cravings. Go for poached eggs or an omelet with spinach, tomato and mushrooms rather than the fried variety.
LUNCH
4. Avocado
“I was on a strict low-fat diet for six weeks and wondered why I wasn’t losing any weight, despite being hungry all the time. What I didn’t realise was that all those supposedly low fat foods were really high in sugar.” Kristy, 27
Why we love them: Although avocado is 83% fat, it’s the healthy mono-unsaturated kind, an essential fatty acid that enables the body to metabolise other fats. Research shows that eating “good” fats causes less weight gain by triggering fat burning rather than fat storage.
5. Turkey
“I wanted to tone up and lose body fat, so I now do a 30-minute brisk walk every day, weight training three times a week and my diet includes plenty of lean protein like turkey in every meal. Although the scales haven’t changed, I have lost 3% body fat and dropped a dress size.” Carlie, 28
Why it works: Turkey is high in leucine, an amino acid which helps maintain muscle mass. Maintaining muscle during weight loss is essential because it boosts metabolism and helps the body burn more calories even when you’re not working out.
6. Legumes
Dr Susanna Holt, a nutritionist at the University of Sydney, recently developed a system for measuring how long different foods made you feel full, called the Satiety Index. One of the foods that rated highest on her scale? Legumes such as lentils and chickpeas.
Why we love them: Legumes are low in fat, high in fibre and contain anti-nutrients which delay their absorption, making you feel like you’ve eaten a filling meal. Throw chickpeas into a salad of roast pumpkin, fetta, rocket and pine nuts and dress with a little olive oil and lemon.
SNACKS
7. Yoghurt
Yoghurt contains good bacteria essential for the health of the digestive system. It’s also packed with calcium, a must-have for all women to protect bone density. Aim to eat at least three serves of calcium a day, like 1 tub of yoghurt, 1 glass of milk and a slice of cheese.
Why it works: A recent university study found that eating three serves of low-fat dairy a day may accelerate weight loss. Results showed those who consumed more calcium lost a greater percentage of body fat than their calcium-deficient counterparts. Opt for low-fat options to reduce calorie content.
8. Apples
“When I lost 10 kilos last year one of the hardest things to change was my sweet tooth. I’m a sucker for cakes, biscuits and donuts. It took ages to adjust but now I snack on fruit like apples and dried apricots instead. Sure it’s not chocolate, which I still have as a treat, but it’s the next best thing.”
Why it works: The skin of apples contains a particular type of soluble fibre called pectin that slows digestion, making you feel satisfied for longer.
9. Raw nuts
Always avoided nuts because you think they’re packed with fat? According to Dr Miller, author of Eat, Drink and Be Healthy, a small, regular intake of certain kinds of nuts can actually help you stay slim.
Why we love them: Raw nuts such as almonds, walnuts and brazil nuts contain a combination of protein, fibre and healthy fats which keep blood sugar levels stable, keeping us from getting hungry too soon after eating. Snack on 10 almonds a day or add walnuts to a chicken salad. But while raw nuts are great, avoid nuts that have been roasted or salted.
DINNER
10. Salmon
When Dr Nicolas Perricone released his New York Times best seller The Perricone Weight-Loss Diet it caused a wave of hysteria among image-obsessed celebrities. His theory? That fatty acids, particularly from salmon, can keep you looking younger for longer by fighting the signs of ageing.
Why it works: Oily fish contains essential fatty acids which help your body burn fat more efficiently and protect against disease. Dr Perricone recommends at least three portions of oily fish a week. Throw fish on the BBQ and serve with salad or steamed veges for a five-minute dinner.
11. Broccoli
Broccoli is not only high in calcium, it's also loaded with vitamin C which boosts calcium absorption. At 20 calories per cup, this super food contains powerful phytochemicals that boost the body’s immunity and protect against cancer.
Instant flavour boosters: Try cooked broccoli with lemon juice, slivered almonds, sesame seeds or a few shavings of parmesan cheese.
12. Lemon
“I used to drench food in creamy dressing and was obsessed with caesar salad thinking that, because it contained lettuce, it must be healthy. Then someone told me the average caesar salad can have as much fat as lasagna. I now use a squeeze of lemon juice instead of oily dressings.” Berny, 19
Why it works: Aside from supplying substantial amounts of vitamin C, the main benefits of lemons relate to their seasoning potential. Adding fresh lemon juice to recipes can reduce the amount of salt needed to enhance the flavours, while adding no fat and negligible calories.
DESSERT
13. Berries
Raspberries, blueberries and strawberries not only taste amazing, they’re packed with cancer fighting carotenoids and high in pectin, which makes you feel full. Combine with yoghurt for a totally guilt-free dessert.
Not into fruit? Throw a few raspberries over low fat yogurt and untoasted muesli in the morning, or add blueberries to a smoothie. You won’t even realise you’re eating them.
14. Low-fat rice pudding
“I've finally found a dessert which also tastes great. Heinz low-fat rice pudding isn't too expensive and doesn’t pile on the kilos. It’s incredible sprinkled with a little honey or maple syrup.” Bianca, 26
Why it works: A delicious and nutritious dessert, rice pudding is low in fat and full of flavour. Serve hot or cold with fresh fruit such as strawberries, bananas or kiwi fruit and you'll soon see your sugar cravings leveling off.
DRINKS
15. Green tea
“I have a stressful job and could easily down three coffees a day without noticing. Now I’ve switched to drinking green tea throughout the day, instead of milky lattes. It’s cleansing, healthy and calms me down.” Belinda, 29
Why it works: A study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition shows that green tea polyphenols can speed up the body’s metabolic rate by stimulating thermogenesis (fat burning). It’s also packed with anti-oxidants to makes skin look healthier, fight disease and free-radical damage.
16. Water
“I’ve lost 22kgs over the past two years and one of the major changes I made was swapping soft drink for water. I now drink at least two litres of water a day, have lots more energy and feel more positive in general.” Gillian, 29
Why it works: Water not only keeps the body and skin hydrated, it’s essential to maintain a healthy elimination system, which rids the body of waste. Often, when you think you’re hungry, you’re actually just thirsty – so try drinking a glass of water before raiding the fridge.
Credits to Cleo Australia. Taken from this webiste. (My favourite website :)

i can live on chocolates for breakfast, lunch, dinner, supper everyday (and won't gain an ounce hehe) unless of course, if i were to do it everyday for 2 months. tried it once when i was in london. gained like what, 2kg? susahlah nak gemok. heheheh. kuntum baca nih sure berapi je. hahahahahahahahaha =)
ReplyDelete2kg? Aiyo, bukan saje quntum, tapi aku juga sedang berapi ni.... ;)
ReplyDeletegood luck. new year resolution ke?
ReplyDeleteYup :)
ReplyDeletehai papaya. thanks dear. wow u ptd dekat mana? =).
ReplyDeletei didnt say i was engaged, cause the topic never came up. i did, write down my fiance's address though in my resume.menyesal plak tak cakap. the guy was super intimidating. =D.
can i post ur link on my blog? thanks. =D
kak yaya, i think ure my senior in UKM. super super senior perhaps? =)
ReplyDeleteu took food science right?
I just graduated this year. =)
owh yes, water is much much better for those who want to cut those fats!!
ReplyDeleteHai Junior Nahwal!
ReplyDeleteYup, I took Food Science n Nutrition at UKM class of 2006. Sekarang PTD kat Kementerian Kesihatan. Where else diorang nak campak kita yang grad health sciences ni kalau bukan kat MOSTI, MOH or MOA >_<
Yes, you can post my link at your blog.
Zetty: True. But some says dont drink too much before you go to sleep, nanti perut buncit.. I found this totally bullshit sebab mase kat Uni, aku minum a big glass of plain water before sleeping, n perut aku kekal ramping ;)