Sunday, 13 September 2009

In the dark

It’s so good to be at Ma’s place. I can blog and facebooking again. Internet connection at my work place is getting worst. I cant even log in to blogger anymore. Not sure whether it’s temporarily or forever. And now I’m here on my big, comfy bed, with my husband sleeping soundly and I am blogging in the dark.

We need to find a place of our own as soon as possible. Otherwise, we’ll keep screaming in our heads when it’s time to nomad each weekend. Sure, I always like staying at Ma’s place. I can watch CSI, log on to the internet anytime I want, have my own tv in my bedroom and I can even go to the kitchen in the middle of the night to cook instant noodle using the microwave without waking up others if I felt hungry. And most of all, I miss talking to Ma. But Joe still feels awkward. Like how I feel awkward staying at his father’s place.

When staying at Ma’s place, I have to do the house chores as usual which is not a problem. And staying at my in-law’s house, I can’t do much. The husband asked me to treat it as my own home but I still cant. I don’t feel free, it’s like someone is eyeing me, to see how the new daughter-in-law is doing.

Marriage is combining 2 cultures. Living in my own culture for 25 years and suddenly I need to chameleon myself to another may take some time man, especially on the food part. Hell I’m a nutritionist student. The calories, the hygiene, the preservative used, the nutrition, bla, bla, bla, EVERYTHING has to be taken into consideration in the process of cooking food.

What about the food you ate at the cafeteria? How do you its clean enough? Oh, well, at least I can choose veges that is not overcooked.

I used to hate cooking, but now, I’m screaming to experience cooking on my own and try all those recipes I collected. I hate the taste of chilli sauce in the cooking. I can smell it even before the food touches my tongue. I hate oily food. I never ate petai, jering, kerang, kepah, internal organ, kaki ayam. I don’t like tempoyak. I hate nasi lembik.

Do you know that putting the rice cooker at “keep warm” will only make the nasi berkerak and when it’s berkerak, the rice is wasted because none wants to eat the kerak? At home (Ma’s place) we never use “keep warm”. Whenever we want to heat up the rice, we put in some water and put the rice cooker at “cook” and let it does its thing. When it’s done, don’t immediately open the lid; leave it for 5 to 10 minutes. And tada, the rice is almost like freshly cooked.

But the word of a 25 year old city girl is not convincing enough. So I continued to eat nasi kerak or watched it be thrown in the dustbin.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...